Ottershaw Park Chertsey
This Grade 2 Listed Building was the last substantial Mansion, to be privately commissioned in Southern England. Built by Thomas Cubitt in 1910 for an Austrian Count the house was requisitioned during the second world war for use by the RAF. After the war it was sold to Surrey County Council and used as a special needs school. It was sold in 1982, the purchaser being the property dealer Tim Gwynne Jones, who attempted to obtain planning consent for use as a hotel/conference centre/offices without success. The Mansion was subsequently sold off on an individual apartment basis to private individuals who had the passion and commitment to restore their piece of architectural history.
With grand rooms and impressive features the project was a design challenge. The largest central section known as The Terrace Apartment, was a combination of some original grand rooms and semi basement kitchens and service areas. The design planned by Andrew Neale restored some symmetry between the upper impressive rooms and the lower levels. The apartment extended in all to some 10000 sq ft and has been hired from time to time by several film production companies.